I Hospital Fitness & Exercise Few Differences Between Whey Protein Isolate and Concentrate

Few Differences Between Whey Protein Isolate and Concentrate

If you happen to be someone who exercises regularly, then you are someone who values health and nutrition. A majority of health-conscious people use whey protein for their health and nutrition.

Protein powders, bars, and drinks are a few popular dietary supplements. Whey protein is found in all these products that come from dairy. There are many different varieties of whey protein, including whey isolate and whey concentrate.

We will try to explain the difference between these 2 common whey protein forms to show which is better.

What is whey protein?

This is one of the 2 primary proteins found in milk. If you consider only the milk’s macro components, then it consists of sugar, fat, and protein (whey and casein). Unless it is specifically mentioned, most whey originates from bovine milk.

There are many different whey protein types used in supplements. Among them, 2 of the very common forms are:

  • Whey isolate
  • Whey concentrate.

Both these forms are usually produced using different processing methods that cause slight variations in nutritional content.

Difference between whey protein isolate and concentrate

Several nutritional differences exist due to processing methods. As a liquid, whey is collected as a cheese by-product or yogurt production before undergoing several steps to enhance its protein content.

When a sufficient protein concentration is achieved, the liquid is dried to form a whey concentrate powder that consists of 80% protein by weight. The remaining 20% contains fat and carbohydrates.

Adding a few further steps reduces the carbohydrate and fat content, resulting in whey isolate powder that contains 90% or more protein.

While the protein content is higher, the amino acid types found in both whey forms are virtually identical, as they are derived from the same source.

Besides, having a lower content of total carbohydrate, whey isolate has lower lactose content too. This means that it can be a much better choice for people who are lactose intolerant.

However, the lactose content in both these forms of whey protein is usually low enough for people who are lactose intolerant to use.

There are cost differences between these 2 types of whey. Normally, whey isolate is much more expensive compared to whey concentrate.

While this makes sense, whey isolate lasts longer because you need a lower amount per serving for the same protein requirement as whey concentrate.

By using a certain MYO band, any health enthusiast can check the growth and movement of their muscles, as this band will help to detect that.